Diablo 3 is one of the most famous RPG titles available for PCs, but Blizzard has never really bothered to fix several bugs that prevent the game from being one of the world’s best. The 1016 error code is said to be a generic error in the disconnection of the network for which no definite solutions exist.
Of course, Blizzard will blame everything on your Internet connection and in some cases they may be right. There are a few different methods that can be used to solve the problem, so try them below!
What Causes the Diablo 3 Error Code 1016?
There are quite a few reasons for this problem and according to users online, we will only list the most popular:
- IP problems address. A list of helpful commands can be sorted out and they are necessary as soon as your Internet connection begins to display any problems.
- IPv6 is often not compatible with Diablo 3 and often also causes other programs and games problems. It’s best to turn it off.
- Your antivirus blocks the executable of the game. This can be solved by placing the game in the exceptions list of your antivirus.
Solution 1: Use this Helpful Set of Commands
The set of useful IP configuration commands can help you to renovate your IP address and other related settings. This set of commands is executed in Command Prompt and is used to solve many Internet connection problems, in particular game problems.
- Search for “Command Prompt” either directly in the Start menu or by pressing the search button next to it. Right-click the first entry that appears as a search result and select the context menu entry “Run as an administrator.”
- The Windows Logo Key + R key combination can also be used to create the Run dialog box. In the dialog box that appears, type “cmd” and use the combination of Ctrl + Shift + Enter key for admin Command Prompt.
- Type the following commands in the window and make sure you press Enter. Wait for the message “successfully completed operation” or something similar to knowing that the method worked and that you did not make any mistakes when typing. Pause for a short time between these two commands.
ipconfig/flushdns ipconfig/release ipconfig/release6 ipconfig/renew
- Reopen Diablo wherever you can, start the game and check to see the error code 1016 for Diablo 3 still appears after a while!
Solution 2: Disable the Internet Protocol version 6
Version 6 of the IPv6 or Internet Protocol is often incompatible with older games and you should try to deactivate it for your default Internet connection (which you most often use). For example, if you switch between Ethernet and Wi-Fi, repeat the same process for both!
- Use the Windows + R key combination, which should immediately display the Run dialog box, where you should write’ ncpa.cpl’ in the bar and tap OK to open the Internet Connection settings in the Control Panel.
- The same process can also be carried out by opening the control panel manually. Switch the View to Category in the top right section of the window and click Network and Internet in the top section. To start it, click the Network and Sharing Center button. Try and click on the Change Adapter Settings button on the left menu.
- When either of these methods opens the Internet Connection window, double-click the active Network Adapter.
- Then click Properties and find the list entry for Internet Protocol Version 6. Disable this entry’s check box and click OK. Restart your computer to confirm the changes and check for in-game problems.
Solution 3: Run the Diablo 3 Executable in Compatibility Mode for Windows 7
A random user posted this method on one of the Diablo 3 forums and many people decided to try it just to be surprised that these methods actually work in many applicable scenarios. Just follow the steps below to do this correctly.
- If you can manually locate the installation folder of the game, the executable can be found. The easiest way would be to right-click on Desktop or anywhere else on the game’s shortcut and select Properties from the menu. An alternative is to search for Diablo 3 in the Start menu, right-click on the first result and select the location of the open file. It should open its shortcut so right-click on the properties and select them.
- Navigate to the tab Compatibility in the Properties window and check the box next to the option “For compatibility mode running this program.” From the menu that appears, select Windows 7 (recommended by us).
- Check the box next to the entry “Run this program as an administrator” under the Settings section in the same window to give it some more permissions in order to solve the problem for good.
- Apply your changes and try to restart the game to see if the error code 1016 in Diablo 3 has stopped appearing.
Solution 3: Add the Game to the Exceptions List in Your Antivirus
If you use a free antivirus, it is likely that your Diablo 3 executable will be blocked from properly connecting to the Internet or accessing certain files on your computer. In any case, the problem can be solved by adding the executable of the game to your antivirus list of exclusions.
The process will differ from one antivirus to another but we have decided to list out the paths to this option in the most popular antivirus tools.
- Open the antivirus user interface by double-clicking on the system tray icon (right part of the taskbar at the bottom of the window) or searching for it in the Start menu (Cortana).
- The exception setting for different antivirus tools is located in different locations. It can often be found easily, but here are a few quick instructions on how to find it in the most popular antivirus tools:
Kaspersky Internet Security: Home >> Settings >> Additional >> Threats and Exclusions >> Exclusions >> Specify Trusted Applications >> Add.
AVG: Home >> Settings >> Components >> Web Shield >> Exceptions.
Avast: Home >> Settings >> General >> Exclusions.
- The Diablo 3 executable file must be added to the box that will show you navigating to the required file. The best way to find it is by right-clicking on the Desktop shortcut and selecting from the context menu the Open file location option. This is the address you need to navigate!
- Check to see if you can now use the program without the error code 1016 from Diablo 3! If the error still appears, you may want to use another antivirus or firewall tool, especially if the problem is free!