When starting the game, some Minecraft players get an error code 5 error message. The full error message says: “Native launcher updater for Mojang. Problem moving C:\Program Files (x86)\Minecraft\tmp\tmpLauncher.exe with error code 5.
Therefore, when the error message appears, the game does not run. These are a couple of Minecraft error code 5 resolutions.
Fix Minecraft error code 5 on Windows 10
- Run Minecraft as Administrator
- Copy the tmpLauncher File to the Minecraft Folder
- Update the Minecraft Launcher
- Update Java Version
1. Run Minecraft as Administrator
- It can kick – start games with elevated admin rights. Try to run Minecraft first as an administrator. This is how Minecraft can be started as an administrator.
- To open the context menu, right-click the Minecraft Launcher.
- To open the window directly below, select the Properties option.
- Click the Compatibility tab in the snapshot below.
- Select the Run this program as an administrator option on the Compatibility tab.
- Press the Apply and OK buttons.
— RELATED: How to fix Minecraft crashes in Windows 10, 8, or 7
2. Copy the tmpLauncher File to the Minecraft Folder
- Some Minecraft players have fixed error code 5 by copying the tmpLauncher file to the Minecraft folder. To do that, open this folder in File Explorer: C:\Program Files (x86)\Minecraft\tmp.
- Next, right-click tmpLauncher.tmp and select Copy.
- Open the C:\Program Files (x86)\Minecraft folder in File Explorer.
- Right-click Minecraft.exe and select the Delete option. Click the Yes button to confirm.
- Then right-click an empty folder space in File Explorer and select the Paste option.
- Right-click the tmpLauncher.tmp file and click Rename.
- Enter Minecraft.exe as the new file title for tmpLauncher.tmp, and press the Yes button on the dialog box window that opens.
3. Update the Minecraft Launcher
Another fix for error code 5 is to download a new Minecraft launcher. A new launcher can be downloaded from the hyperlink in the Nativelog.txt file of Minecraft. This is how the game’s launcher can be updated.
- Open the Nativelog.txt file of the game (in the Minecraft folder) and copy the hyperlink to Nativelog, which includes MinecraftLauncher.exe, with the hotkey Ctrl + C.
- Then open a browser.
- Press Ctrl + V to paste and open the copied URL, and download the Minecraft launcher from that page.
- Then drag the new MinecraftLauncher.exe to the Minecraft folder to replace the original launcher.
- Right-click the old Minecraft.exe and select Delete to erase it.
— RELATED: Fix: Common Minecraft Realms issues on Windows 10
4. Update Java Version
Minecraft is a game requiring running Java. It may also be worth checking whether your version of Java is the most updated. This is how Java can be updated.
- First, Press the Win key + R keyboard Shortcut.
- Enter ‘Appwiz.cpl’ in Run, & Press the OK Button.
- Next, enter ‘ Java ‘ in the search box to check the Java version as shown directly below in the snapshot.
- If the latest Java 8 Update 161 is not your version, select Java and press Uninstall to remove it.
- Next, open this page and select a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Java. For 32-bit browsers and 64-bit Java for 64-bit browsers, you will need a 32-bit version.
- Open your browser to check whether it’s a 64-bit or 32-bit browser. In Chrome, for example, you can click Customize Google Chrome > Help > Google Chrome to open the tab below.
- Open the Java setup wizard to install the latest version.
One or more of these fixes is likely to get Minecraft to run again on your Windows desktop or laptop. Check out this article to fix other Minecraft error messages on Windows 10 and 8. Call On Our Technical Support Phone Number for fixing Minecraft error code 5 on Windows PCs by Error code Expert USA +1 (866) 748-5444 Right Now to Get Instant Help